Thursday, July 3, 2008

Culture: Politics Internalized?

Do government and politics define a culture, or do the values of a society become the primary factor? This question found its way into my brain as the result of a comment on one of my YouTube videos. This individual said that American culture was vastly different from British culture, and cited politics as one of the reasons for this. Obviously, Britain's policies are more liberal and European than American policies. But is that really a valid cause of cultural difference?

I tend to base my judgements on the fact that (WCS kids, say it with me, I know you've been programmed to do so) culture is religion, externalized. How do politics and government fit into the equation, though? It's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" situation. If a culture's values are primarily determined by the actions of government, then what? Or, to pose a further question, are the actions of government really just outworkings of a culture's values? Is it top-down, bottom-up, or simply every which-way? Personally, I don't think that politics is a prime determinant in a culture, but then again, these matters are always quite messy and can never be said to go one way or another. I don't presume to surface with an actual answer, but I thought it was an interesting matter.

Final summation: how can government ultimately affect the nature of a culture?

Thoughts, anyone? Go.

4 comments:

  1. Well, that depends. The way a government runs sometimes determines the kinds of jobs people get. The government can also determine how much money people have to spend on extravagent luxuries.

    Of course, I say this not knowing whether or not you had a specific type of government in mind. Or is that the question? Do different governments make for different cultures? Yes, that is the question and somehow I missed it.

    I know why I missed it. It's 11:30 here on the west coast. I'm tired. I think I'll sleep on this one and think about it some more tomorrow or Saturday. Sorry I can't contribute more now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, I just watched your latest vlog videos.
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    I'm looking forward to when you go to university. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it goes two ways. The society's culture (religion externalized) typically determines the kind of government in place. The government in turn determines how much money the people have to "externalize" their religion. Does this go in circles or is my reasoning actually sorta okay?

    Thougts from the author?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please keep in mind the above comment about governments is a generalization. I think different governments may impact the culture different ways. But what I commmented on is the main way.

    ReplyDelete