Thursday, February 26, 2009

Most Likely to Secede

Why are Texans so obsessed with the idea that Texas is "the only state that can secede from the Union?" I don't get it. For one thing, it's dumb. Don't be ridiculous. We all know that every hardcore Texan has some sort of fantasy that if the War(you know which one I mean) suddenly broke out again, they could grab the nearest firearm and start shooting Yanks. But that's not going to happen, so stop being silly. And secondly, it isn't true. Vermont joined the United States upon the condition that it could leave at any time, as did other states, such as New York and Virginia. Furthermore, according to Texas v. White, even if every single person in Texas voted to secede, it wouldn't be legal. I'm pretty sure that after the Civil War, the federal government made sure that secession was no longer a legal option. So I don't know what people are going on about, it's all a rather large amount of ballyhoo over nothing. Texans are strange. Just get over it, y'all.

EDIT: This is actually kind of interesting. More than a few states, including Vermont, have current secession movements. Most of the websites for the Vermont movement cite a lot of pre-Civil War material, such as quotes from the Founding Fathers, the Constitution, things of that nature. But they conveniently seem to ignore the Supreme Court case I mentioned, which interprets secession as unconstitutional. I mean... if you can't do it, you can't do it. I'm not saying I don't think they're right in some respects, but it looks pretty rock-solid to me. It's illegal, no matter what Thomas Jefferson might have said.

3 comments:

  1. So, what brought this on? And if you're referring to the 14th Amendment, I didn't read anything refusing any state the right to secede. I certainly agree with you that secession would be a really stupid thing to do (it's usually pretty dangerous), but as far as I know it's still (technically) a right of every state in the union. Unless, of course, an individual state has worked that right out its constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Texas v. White defined the matter, and made it unconstitutional and illegal for a state to secede. As far as I know, that ruling still stands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...

    The post-war government of that time baffles me. I would argue that the ruling is unjust, but it is there. Secession is still possible through revolution or consent of the states. But nowadays that would be extremely difficult to acheive as well as unwise in the long run.

    ReplyDelete