Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ora et Labora

This is something I've always thought about doing, but have never done until now. I've created a modified version of the monastic hours, the cycle of daily prayer as laid out in the Rule of Saint Benedict, a system for monastic life, written by Benedict of Nursia in the 5th or 6th century. Of course, because I have school and am not able to sit around a pray all day(although that would be nice), I've had to change things around a bit.

The Hours

I. Matins: 6:00 AM
II. Prime: 7:00 AM
III. Terce : 8:00 AM
IV. Sext: 9:30 AM
V. None: 12:30 PM
VI. Vespers: 5:00 PM
VII. Compline: 8:00 PM
VIII. Vigils: 10:00 PM

1 comment:

  1. It was nice to know that I am not the only one that has revised the hours of prayer for self.
    Know of a clock with a 24Hr. alarm system?
    It would be nice to have something like this to remind one that it is time to pray. The alarm with the sound of a bell would be really nice.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete