Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Theology for Quitting Tobacco

So, I'm a tobacco consumer. I hesitate to use the term "smoker," since that conjures up images of me as a twitchy, gaunt individual who takes smoke breaks at work and can be found incessantly burning cigarettes whilst standing next to an ashtray outside various buildings. But yeah, I smoke pipes, I smoke cigars, so in the loosest sense of the word, yes, I'm a smoker. Having said that, there is another fact which must be put forth, something which others have mentioned to me. There are a lot of women out there who do not like tobacco. Some may not like the smell, the smoke, the health concerns, or all three. "Andrew, you bold de Bergeracian bachelor," I hear you ask, "what will you do if you happen to marry a woman who absolutely despises smoking? Will you give up your briar?" In a word, yes. (Did you see that, ladies?) But lest you think that I would merely change my behavior at a moment's notice, simply because it is distasteful in the eyes of women, I shall present to you a theological reason behind such a declaration. You see, in the bond of marriage, there is the dynamic of mutual sacrifice, even the sacrifice of your control over your own physical existence. In his first epistle to the Corinthians Paul tells us that "the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does." Now, this could mean a number of different things, but here I'm applying it to tobacco. By smoking a pipe or a cigar, I am, in effect, putting tobacco into her property, that is to say, my body. I think this same principle can be applied to alcohol, diets, exercise, or anything else, really. And so that is why if my wife asks me to stop smoking, I'll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment