Monday, January 7, 2008

The Antithesis of Joy

An excerpt from Angels in the Architecture:

"We have many Christians who embrace the truth about predestination simply because it still makes other people made, and it provides them with the opportunity to move on to other issues which make other people mad. Soon the regulative principle is wound tight around their axle; they are so full of scruples that they are standing in the slop of the overflow. They insist, for example, that we have a bounden duty to sing the psalms; we must sing the psalms; gotta sing psalms; in sin if you don't sing psalms. In attitude, this is the antithesis of joy. "Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms' (Jas. 5:13)."

It would seem that divisiveness and concern for pinpoint doctrinal accuracy often get in the way of Christian fellowship and joy. Pretty counter-productive, if you ask me. I've been a distant witness to some denominational squabbling within the cloisters of Presbyterianism in the form of the Federal Vision controversy. As a young Christian, it is more than a little disconcerting to see Christian leaders behaving in such a manner. I am sure this has been said before, but shouldn't the primary focus of the church be the joy of the gospel? I cannot say this with complete confidence, because I do not know the specific points of contention in the debate, but I would expect that the unity of the church would come before theological differences. That is most definitely one of the problems with denominations in the first place. From what I can tell, there are rumblings of a possible split in the PCA. From what I have heard and read, the concept of "brothers dwelling together in unity" is not always at the forefront of the PCA's considerations and discussions. Again, I do not know everything about the issue, nor can I claim to know what should be done about it. I do, however, expect Christ-like conduct from the church's leaders, something which is not always present. I could be wrong, but those are my impressions. No denomination should be above stepping back and examining itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment