Friday, January 4, 2008

"We'll always have Minas Tirith..."

I had the distinct non-pleasure of watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 last night. The plot was terribly incohesive and consisted of one adventure movie cliché after another. We had three-way stand-offs, lack-lustre inspirational speeches, predictable characters, so-so fight scenes and bad dialogue. Sounds like your average, run of the mill adventure movie. The production quality was great, though and the movie was visually interesting, but the storyline just didn't back up the visuals. I hadn't seen the second installment of Pirates, so I was a little confused at first, but even so, the plot was very strange. The ending left me saying to myself, "Well, that was stupid." 

In the end, the movie was mediocre and generally unsatisfying. The first Pirates movie paved the way for a really great franchise, but it seems that PotC has become yet another gear in the Disney money-making machine. Hopefully, the standards for the Chronicles of Narnia films will be a bit higher. Personally, I am still on the fence about that. I wasn't quite as enamoured with the first movie as some others were, but I will be interested to see where the series goes. I will say one thing: Thank goodness they didn't screw up the Lord of the Rings. 

1 comment:

  1. hey, i love that movie, and you should watch the second, makes the third make a heck of a lot more sense. and what's wrong with money makeing machines, they make money becuase apparantly people like them, soo i mean one is only caused by the other soo..... yeah that's my opinion

    ReplyDelete